Saturday, June 21, 2014

SMITH & WESSON 550 MAGNUM REVIEW

COWBOYBUCKS REVIEW OF THE 

SMITH & WESSON 500 MAGNUM


I first saw the Smith & Wesson 550 Magnum Hand Cannon a my favorite gun shop about several months ago, but didn't pay it much attention. Then I saw a Youtube video by fateofdestinee (She is one of my favorite Youtube gun video bloggers) and was pretty impressed. So the next time I went into the gun shop I asked to see one, it was the 8 3/8 barrel version and it left me wanting one. However, when I'm going to drop that kind of cash for a gun, I want to do some research first.

Needless to say, as the gun guy (you can insert addict, nerd or just plain gun lover) that I am, I went home and got right on the computer to start my research. Recurring terms like, " Most powerful production handgun in the world", " Hand Cannon ", " Can drop anything you'll ever hunt that walks the earth", and "Smith & Wesson had to invent the all new X Frame just to handle the power" as well as muzzle velocities that would make the space shuttle envy the 500, it got my attention even more. If your a gun guy or girl, you know what I mean.

When I went to Smith & Wesson's website to look at the different models, it didn't take me long to find the one I wanted. Although all the models are beauties, I wanted the Big Rock Exclusive model, with the laser engraved bear head and paw prints. The search was on. After a long search on the Internet, calling Smith & Wesson, calling Big Rock Sports Distribution and contacting a lot of Wisconsin gun shops all with no luck. The general answer being that the model I wanted has been on back order for a long time. I decided that I would just buy the common S&W 500 Mag with a 4 inch barrel, so I called the first gun shop I was at to see if they had a 4 inch, they did. I went there to look at it and when the guy opened the box, there was the Big Rock Edition I had been looking for. 




I wasted no time filling out my paper work and buying the gun, 2 days later it was home and the next day (Fathers Day) we went shooting. I used Hornady 300 grain Customs for the test shots. range ammo pretty much doesn't exist for the 500 Mag yet. Therefore the ammo is a bit costly at Fifty some bucks for 20 rounds, but proves to be well worth it.



I must admit that I was a bit nervous about my first shot, however the 50 caliber S&W Magnum is designed so well that it does not give the sharp kick that I expected. It really is more of a push back into your palms, the arms and and back or stance. A proper stance and grip is a must with this gun, it not for the beginner or the faint of heart, however I have shot guns with way more sharp, painful kick. There really is nothing painful about the kick. The noise even with earplugs is very loud, the muzzle flash only last less than a second, but is very noticeable.

We were videoing the shots and I freeze framed the muzzle flash in the picture below. It is quite the flame thrower.



                                                                 A picture just for fun.

The entrance hole in my shooting backstop was roughly the size of the bullet, however the exit hole was huge. The muzzle flip is surprisingly minimal, thanks to the Muzzle brake, special grip and Smith & Wesson's excellent X Frame design. Sight realignment is pretty easy once I got over my nervousness of shooting it, which only took a few shots. I then tried shooting one handed, and although a handful, is manageable but not recommended unless in an emergency. Such as a charging bear, rhino, elephant or dinosaur. lol.

My first actual range or target time was the second time shooting the 500 Magnum. It went very well I thought for shooting such a new gun and will get better with time. Shown is the target I used, the buzzard being the bulls eye, then I photo-shopped a regular target over it with each line representing 1 inch from the bulls eye. My closest being about 3/4 of an inch and farthest being roughly 3 1/2 of an inch.


The 500 Magnum drew a lot of attention at the range, with one guy saying he could feel the air move 6 to 7 lanes away. Two guys came right up and asked what I was shooting, with many more onlookers and people wanting to take a look at the revolver.

Out of a 5 star rating system with 5 being the best, I give the Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum 4 inch is 4 3/4   stars.

Cost - 5 stars - The gun cost is very reasonable, the is a lot of engineering, extensive machining, specialized
                         Hogue grip and interchangeable muzzle brake cylinders.

Ammo - 4 stars- There is a pretty fair amount of high brand defense and hunting ammo out there, someone                              needs to make some less expensive range ammo.

Shoot-ability - 5 stars - Surprisingly comfortable shooting and sight re-acquisition is very reasonable for a 50                                      caliber handgun. it isn't really fair to compare this gun to a .380 or .45.

Weight and Size - 5 stars - While it is not ankle gun by any means, for hunting or concealed - open carry the                                           weight and size is very nice when you consider this is a 50 caliber handgun.

Additional optional accessories - 5 - The amount of holsters, sights, red dot, scopes and even shoulder slings                                                         (for the bigger models and models with rails) is huge and varies in price                                                         from inexpensive to very expensive. Which is true with most popular                                                             models of firearms.

No comments: